Tim Neave #14







The first round of the Short Track UK Club championship at Leicester Speedway stadium:
I raced in the 450 Pro class on my Suzuki supported RM-Z 450; I comfortably won this class, after consecutively winning all of my heats and the winning the final on the last lap. I also raced in the Thunderbike class on-board the Roeder CR500 framer. I also won this class after finishing 1st in all my heat races and in the final.
 
After a 2 hour break, the first round of the Grand National UK Flat Track Championship began.
 
I finished 2nd from the back row in my first heat, after having a good battle with team mate Pete Boast.
Heat 2 was harder as I had 2011 champ Ade Collins and 2011 number 2 Tom Woolley starting in front of me. I was on the back wheel of Tom, but just couldn't make the move to pass him, so I finished 3rd.
Heat 3, I started on the front row, I made a good start and won the race from start to finish; that left me in good stead and I got second pick in the Semi. Woolley got first pick and made an excellent start (as always), I finished 2nd in that race, leaving me with 3rd pick on the front row of the 15 lap grand final.
In the final I didn't make a brilliant start and was 4th into the first corner, after 2 laps I got past into 3rd, then put my head down and every lap I could see I was catching Woolley in second. A red flag appeared on lap 7, so a restart took place with a line out. I made a better start this time but it still didn't compare to Collins' and Woolley's who both got good hole shots, but this time I was instantly on the back of Woolley. Unfortunately I didnt make the pass and finished up in 3rd; which I'm happy with, my first race of the season.
I now know what I need to do different in order to do better - I tend to struggle with my starts, party due to weight, party due to technique... 
Roll on the next meeting at King's Lynn on Saturday 21st April for the TT event.

Kind regards,
Tim